There shall be and there are hereby established rates and charges for the use of and for the service supplied by the municipal water utility based upon the meter readings of the amount of water consumed as follows (minimum applied to each dwelling unit or business being served regardless of the number of meters served):
- First 2,000 gallons or lessor amount $24.57 per month (minimum monthly bill).
- All over 2,000 gallons $5.60 per 1,000 gallons or any portion thereof.
For those persons outside of the Van Meter city limits rates and charges shall be based upon the meter reading of the amount of water consumed as follows minimum applied to each dwelling unit or business being served regardless of the number of meters served):
- First 2,000 gallons or lessor amount $74.72 per month (minimum monthly bill).
- All over 2,000 gallons $17.02 per 1,000 gallons or any portion thereof.
There shall be and there are hereby established sewer user charges for the use of and for service supplied by the municipal sewerage works based upon the amount and rate of water consumed as follows:
- First 2,000 gallons or lessor amount $24.29 per month (minimum monthly bill).
- All over 2,000 gallons $7.14 per 1,000 gallons or any portion thereof.
For those persons outside of the Van Meter city limits rates and charges shall be:
- First 2,000 gallons or lessor amount $70.48 per month (minimum monthly bill).
- All over 2,000 gallons $20.71 per 1,000 gallons or any portion thereof.
Water and Sewer Fees
In order to advance the City Council's goal of constructing a water treatment plant the City Council felt that it was important to create a mechanism to fund capital improvements to benefit the City's water and sewer systems. To that end, on June 16, 2016 the City Council enacted Ordinance 253 which establishes water and sewer capital improvement fees. Effective July 1, 2016 the capital improvement fee for each gallon of water will be two tenths of one cent. Over the next couple of years the fee will increase every six months by two tenths of a cent until a gallon of water generates one cent for capital improvements. The capital improvement fee for sewer will be five hundredths of a cent per gallon for capital improvements. The sewer fee does not escalate until the Code of Ordinances is amended again in the future.
Garbage Rates (rates listed reflect per month pricing)
The collection and disposal of solid wastes as provided by this chapter is declared to be of benefit to the property served or eligible to be served and there shall be levied and collected fees therefore as follows:
|Service||Fee ||Per Yard|
|RESIDENTIAL || || |
|Extra Residential Solid Waste Cart Rental||$10.00 ||NA |
|Extra Residential Recycling Cart Rental ||$8.50 ||NA |
|Extra Bag Sticker (available at City Hall)||$1.00||NA |
|Bulky Bag Sticker (available at City Hall)||$5.00||NA |
|COMMERCIAL || || |
|Commercial Light Use 1x/Week||$34.41 ||NA|
|Commercial Light Use 2x/Week ||$68.82 ||NA |
|Commercial Heavy Use 1x/Week|| || |
|1.5Y Dumpster ||$67.43 ||NA |
|2Y Dumpster ||$83.50 ||NA |
|3Y Dumpster ||$115.76 ||NA |
|4Y Dumpster ||$155.13 ||NA |
|6Y Dumpster ||$212.79 ||NA |
|Commercial Heavy Use 2x/Week|| || |
|1.5Y Dumpster||$134.85 ||NA |
|2Y Dumpster ||$167.00 ||NA |
|3Y Dumpster ||$231.54||NA |
|4Y Dumpster||$296.35 ||NA |
|6Y Dumpster ||$425.56 ||NA |
Water and Sewer Connection Fees
Effective February 13, 2006, the City of Van Meter adopted "An Ordinance Establishing a new Water and new Sewer Service Connection Fee."
- Code of Ordinances - City of Van Meter - Chapter 90.06 Water Connection Fee - Applications for water service shall be filed with the council upon a form to be supplied by the municipality. The application shall state the name of the applicant and the premises to be served. All applications shall be accompanied by a fee of $600.00 per metered connection payable to the municipality for the connection charge.
- Code of Ordinances - City of Van Meter - Chapter 96.02 Sewer Connection Chrage - Sewer connection fee inside the city limits is set at $500.00 for a single family dwelling, $800.00 for a duplex, and $250.00 for each additional unit.
Please call city hall at 515-996-2644 with any questions.
Water Disconnection Policy
City of Van Meter utility bills is due and payable on the 15th of each month. If not paid by the 15th, such a bill is deemed delinquent. There is a $25.00 disconnect fee. For further information regarding the water disconnect policy, please visit us at our office or call (515) 996-2644. If you know that your utility bill will be late or need to make payment arrangements contact our city hall.